Overview of Document Processing
In the Pastel Partner and Xpress programme you can process :
- Quotations - This document does not affect the general ledger in any way and has an expiry date you can use
- Sales Orders - This document does not affect the general ledger in any way and has a delivery date you can use
- Invoices - This document does affect the general ledger and inventory
- Credit Notes - This document does affect the general ledger and inventory
- Debit Notes - This document cannot be used with inventory and is only used for adding a debit amount back on the customer's account. By this I mean, should you, for example, have invoiced labor at R10, but it should have been R11, you could add R1 onto the customers account using the debit note.
- Purchase Orders - This document does not affect the general ledger in any way and has an expiry date you can use
- Goods Received notes - This document does affect the general ledger and is used to bring inventory into the system immediately for use
- Suppliers Invoice - This document does affect the general ledger and inventory
- Return and Debits - This is the same as a debit note, but for suppliers accounts
So, how does this work
- You select the document type to process
- You then select the account number, and Pastel completes the header fields from your account's master file
- You can change these defaults, and you can change the delivery address on the document
- Pastel performs a credit check for customers
- You can link documents if this is the process used in your organisation
- You then process invoice lines
You can invoice out many types of items besides inventory items, such as financial lines and remarks (text).
- Once an invoice is complete, you can print it out or print it later
- You then proceed onto the next document
- If you process online, the invoice updates as you complete it
- If you process in batch mode, then you need to update the batch at some point
Once you learn how to process one document, you will know how to process the rest of the documents as they have the same format.
Pastel Partner and Xpress allow linking, so you link a quotation to a sales orders to an invoice.
After you have received the go-ahead from your quotation, you can automatically link a sales order from the quotation, and then automatically link an invoice from the sales order.
When you link documents to each other, you do not have to use all of the original document, you can select everything, or just some lines, or partial quantities on those lines.
Also, once you do the linking, you have some choices available to you:
- You delete the quote or sales order, irrespective of whether you used all the items.
- You leave the unused items in place in the original document. For sales orders, this would then represent back orders.
- You can leave the full original document in place.
Sage Pastel Partner and Xpress also allow you to print a supporting document with each document. This means that you could print a delivery note together with your tax invoices if your organisation requires it, and you can set up this document to not show quantities and no values.
Choosing when to print the document
- Supporting Document at Entry, Document at Updating - Print the supporting document upon completion of the document, and later print the document prior to updating.
- Document and Supporting Document at Entry - Print the document and its supporting document upon completion of the document.
- Document Only at Entry - Print the document after completing it, and do not print the supporting document at all.
- Document and Supporting Document at Updating - Print the document and its supporting document prior to updating. Nothing prints on completion of the document.
- Document Only at Updating - Print the document prior to updating, and do not print the supporting document at all. Nothing prints on completion of the document.
- No Printing Required - Do not print the document or its supporting document at all.
Firstly, you would need to set these printing rules per document and per user in the menu options:
- Setup... Customers... Documents
- Setup... Suppliers... Documents
When you actually process the document, you can override these settings if you need to. The Print button lets you print a document immediately, irrespective of the previous settings.
Also, if the previous settings specify that a document should print, you can prevent the printing from happening.
Then, if you process in batch mode, you can access the Batch…Print options, which lets you print those documents in the batch which have not yet printed, or you can reprint all the documents in the batch.
Finally, once you update your batch, or if you process online, you can then print or reprint documents. You do this in the menu options:
- View...Customers...Print Document
- View...Suppliers...Print Document
On the reporting side, you can produce reports of outstanding quotations and back orders. You can do these in:
- Item sequence
- Customer sequence
- Document number sequence
Inclusive / Exclusive Processing per Invoice
In Pastel Partner and Xpress you can set up a default tax processing method (exclusive or inclusive) for each customer. When you produce an invoice for a customer, Pastel uses that default. Even then, you can change the default for each particular invoice.
Using Recurring Invoices
If your organisation needs to invoice the same items for each customer, for example, invoice maintenance, subscription fees, or any other regular amount, using this option save many hours.
These recurring invoices can be set up for intervals other than one month, annually, quarterly, and so on.
Using the Make One for All option
You create one invoice, and then you use this single invoice for a range of customers using the customer category function.
So, for example, if you invoice some customers annually for maintenance, others quarterly, or monthly, use customer category's to separate these three types of customers. Then, create three different invoices, and use these for the three types of customer categories you've set up.
Invoice Lines on Statements
In the set up of Pastel Partner and Xpress you can select to show the actual invoice lines on the customer's statement, instead of the invoice. This allows you to create a combined invoice statement. Its the same as the layout you get from your hospital statement, where you see the injection you just received. It has the swab, the gloves, the needle, the jab contents etc.
Other Invoicing Features
Overdue Checking When Invoicing
As you invoice, Pastel checks whether the customer is over their credit limit or Pastel calculates the aging to see whether the customer is overdue on a payment. You can just click the OK button and continue, but it is not a good idea to overlook accounts owing you money.
Column Positions and Sizes are Remembered
All of the processing screens allow you to resize the columns, much the same way you resize a column in Excel. Pastel remembers this, for each user and for each document.
Finding an Inventory Item Quickly
You can search for inventory items via
- Item Code - This uses the inventory code
- Item description - This uses the description of the item
- Bar Code - If your organisation uses barcodes, you can scan the code in
And if you still cannot find the item, then you can choose the FIND option in your inventory list, and enter just a section of the item description, then click on find to bring up everything that resembles what you are searching for.
You can create abbreviations for inventory items you use all the time. You use shortened versions of the inventory code, which is easier to remember, especially for the users who are invoicing who can bring up your list of the abbreviations, and choose one.
In Pastel Partner and Xpress, you can process invoices in Quick mode. In this mode, you enter the item code (using any of the means described above).
Pastel then invoices a quantity of one at the correct selling price for the customer and moves immediately to the next line. You can switch between Quick mode and Normal Mode in one keystroke or mouse click.
Multiple Remarks Lines
In Pastel Partner and Xpress you can enter remarks onto invoices. You type in as much as you can onto a line, then go onto a new line and continue the remarks, adding new lines as you reach the space limit of that line.
Pastel Partner and Xpress extend remark line processing in two ways:
- You open a window and enter as many as ten lines of remarks at once.
- You create a list of common remarks used each day. Each code can contain as many lines as you require.
- You simply select the item, and Pastel pastes all the lines into the invoice. Very useful if you have lengthy standard descriptions.
For some document types, you can choose how you wish to update them.
You can choose either:
- Update on completion of the document - The document updates as soon as you complete its entry. If you process in online mode, your customer or supplier and general ledger values update immediately. This is useful if you require up-to-date information.
- Update in batch mode - Documents are kept in a batch until you decide to update them. If you process using batch mode, you should make a backup prior to updating so that you don't lose your information. The advantage of using Batch mode processing means you can check your invoices are all correct before you update the batch. This saves you from having to process reverse (credit notes) entries.