Quick Guide to using the Bank Manager
- Process… Cash Book
- Select the cash book you need to import into
- Select the batch button… Bank Manager option… Or
- Select the Bank Manager button at the bottom of the Screen
- In the Statement Provider option, select the bank you use
- In the Statement file option, search for the downloaded file you saved on your pc.
- Enter the balance from the statement in the Statement Balance field.
- Clicking on the View Last 10 Posted transactions link displays the last 5 payments and 5 receipt transactions posted in the cash book.
- To prevent the Summary screen from opening each time you open Bank Manager, tick the check box at the bottom left corner of the screen. The transactions display in the main Bank Manager window, not in the cash book yet.
For transactions that recur from month to month look for keywords (words used the same each month), you can identify in the description field of the bank statement
For example, you pay a supplier by Internet transfer on a monthly basis. The description you assigned to appear on your bank statement reads “Internet Payment ABC Stationers”. You just select the “ABC Stationers” as your transaction identifier and link it to that supplier account. You do not select “Internet payment”, because all other lines that contain “Internet Payment” in their descriptions will then link to the same supplier account.
If you have already got a line entered from a prior bank statement and you need to delete it, select the respective line, right-click and select Delete Current Row or press <Ctrl>+<Delete>
Mapping Account Descriptions
- The Bank Manager divides transactions into receipts and payments
- Click on continue
If you want to use tax processing in Bank Manager, it is important to select the option Tax Processing in the Cash Book settings before importing the bank statement.
To add a mapping
Select a single line…
Change the fields accordingly to :
- G and the General Ledger Account Number
- C and the Customers Account Number
- S and the Suppliers Account Number
- Select the Tax Type and change accordingly ie Zero Rated or 15% Vat
- Select the Project code, if you require one
Make sure the line is highlighted and select “Add Mapping”
A screen opens that shows 2 fields:
“Search Bank Statement for” –
Remove all the parts in the description you don’t need ie Internet Bank Payment, and only leave that part of the description that identifies the transaction each month ie. ABC Stationers”
“Ledger Description” –
Enter the correct wording you want to appear on your ledger printouts ie Stationery
You can select to apply the description to either payment, receipts, or both.
There is an option to assign the mapping to the current cashbook or to assign it to all cashbooks.
An option to apply the current import on saving is available. When you click on the Save button, the system replaces the description field.
- If you select the option ‘Apply to Current Import on Save’, the changes done here will affect the current bank statement import for all transactions that are not allocated to accounts.
- If you select ‘Apply to Current Import on Save’, the ‘Overwrite All Mapped Transactions’ option will become enabled. This option will overwrite transactions already allocated to accounts in the current bank statement import.
- If you save without selecting any save options, changes done here will not affect the current bank statement import.
- Deselecting this option will not map the transaction in Bank Manager when clicking on the Save button.
Once you have completed the preparations of the transactions, you then have to move them into the cash book batch.
Confirm that you have selected the correct cash book. The active cash book is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen.
You cannot perform this operation unless all transactions have accounts, and periods and dates are within the current financial year.
Select the Statement Payments or Statement Receipts tab.
Click on the Create Batch Button.
You can create the payments and receipts batches separately or create all batches at once
You can edit mappings saved previously or add new mappings.
Splitting Lines into Multiple Accounts
In certain cases you would like to split a transaction into multiple transactions to divide that amount between different accounts. For example, you may need to split a telephone payment between different projects. This feature is specific to the current import therefore when a new statement is imported, the split transaction process will need to be done, unlike Mappings.
To Split Transactions
Right-click on the transaction you wish to split and choose the Split Transaction option.
The Split window displays
You can enter multiple lines, each with its own details. All lines must total the original transaction amount.
If you wish to reuse the split details, click the Export option, and save the information. Since you may do this for many different splits, ensure you name the file in such a way as to identify it easily. If you already have the split details saved, then instead of entering details, you click the Import button and load the file you saved.
Once the split lines have the same value as the original line, click the Save button. The system then returns you to the transactions, deletes the original line, and adds the split lines in the same position as it originally was on the statement.
When you create the batch, the split payment will maintain its line position in the cash book.
Posting Transactions to Last Year
To post items from a statement to last year you need to, from the Cash Book, click on the Settings button, uncheck the check box This Year Transactions. Once the check box is unchecked, you will notice that “Last Year” displays in red, at the bottom of the Cash Book.